Okay, so the other day on one of the groups I am on we were discussing authors and books which led me to say how I thought books were like friends. I posted a few reasons on the group, but this led me to think about even more ways that books were like friends…
So I came up with this…
A Few Reasons Why Books Are Like Good Friends
· They are not judgmental…they accept you for who you are.
· They don’t care what you look like, how you live, how much money you have, etc.
· They are always there for you when you need them and you can always count on them.
· If one lets you down, you can always count on another.
· They can lift you up or bring you down.
· They come in all shapes, sizes, colors, etc.
· There is one out there for everyone and while not every one is the right one for you, it may be the right one for someone.
· They can last a lifetime…the same favorite you had in childhood can stay with you until adulthood.
· The more the merrier.
· They keep all your secrets.
· They are loyal and steadfast.
· You can learn a lot by spending time with them.
· They each have their own story to tell.
· They are willing to be patient and stick around even when you get too busy.
· They can bring people together who might never have met.
· They are always willing to help you escape…they provide the getaway vehicle.
It seems I am not alone in my belief. I love quotes and found these that express what I feel much more eloquently than I do:
“Next to acquiring good friends, the best acquisition is that of good books.”
– Charles Caleb Colton
“There is no friend as loyal as a book”
– Ernest Hemingway
“A good book is the best of friends, the same today and for ever.”
– Martin Tupper
So like good friends, books can bring you comfort.
Do you have any comfort reads? Books you return to time and time again?