1. Never tell a child your real age…no matter how young you are you will always be OLD to them and they won’t be shy about telling you either!
2. Barney made dozens of shows/tapes, yet a child will want to watch the same one over and over and over until even you have it memorized and can act it out.
3. Even when you think a child isn’t listening don’t be surprised when they later repeat everything you said…so be careful what you say!
4. Toys have changed since I was a kid: Barbie’s clothes have gotten skimpier, video games are more popular, VHS tapes are almost obsolete thanks to DVDs. Kids have their own computers now too and know more about them than some adults.
5. If a child quietly disappears from the room don’t be surprised if they are up to something they aren’t supposed to be.
6. If you are going somewhere, don’t tell a child until you are ready to walk out the door otherwise you will hear endless, “Is it time to go?” “I want to go.” “Let’s go.” “When are we going?”…
7. Getting hit in the face with a ball hurts but causes endless enjoyment and laughter to a child.
8. Give a child a Gameboy and you may not see them for weeks…you may just have to surgically remove the Gameboy from their hands.
9. Never watch a movie for the first time with a child who has seen it. They will gladly spoil everything for you by telling you what is about to happen…either with words, laughter, or covering their eyes.
10. Never leave a cup of soda unattended. A child will inevitably find it creating A) a mess B) a caffeine/sugar high C) tears when you take it away D) arguments at bed time when the child is not sleepy because of caffeine or E) All of the Above
11. There are some things in this world I will never understand…Pokemon, Barney, The Wiggles, Bratz dolls, Teletubbies, etc.
12. When a child randomly hugs you during a meal it is probably to get out of eating.
13. I cannot imagine life without them!